Sunday, June 17, 2012

All Health - MRI, Bloodwork & Dr's

So I never heard back from the OS that I saw back in march so I gave in and called my GP's (Dr.B) office to set up an appointment to have an MRI.  I got called back on Monday saying that they were going to schedule the MRI but Dr B needed to do blood work before it was ordered.  This left me quite confused as I have had numerous MRI's and never had to have blood work before.  Anyways, I go in on Tuesday to get the requisition sheet for the blood work and asked her to add the Vitamin D test on to that as I hadn't had a chance to get it yet.  I also had to fill out the forms (Are you claustrophobic? Ever been a metal worker? etc), but when it asked for previous surgeries I asked if they couldn't just print off a sheet as that would be a lot easier (she said since I have had so many MRI's already she didn't think it would be a big deal leaving it blank).  So I got all that done and then went to the lab.

So I head down to the lab and J looks up and tells me to take a seat.  I haven't seen J in the lab in a long time and usually P is the one that 'takes charge' when I am there.  P sees me so they do the man that came in behind me first so they had time to do mine.  I go in to the room and hand her my band aids (she kinda just laughed).  She waits until J is free and then calls her into the room for help.  P gets the butterfly and looks at my right hand.  At this point I still had the bruise from the second attempt on the 1st so she couldn't use that spot (even though it's the easiest).  She finds her vein and sticks it in and finally finds it after a little digging.  She finally gets the vein but it goes slowly.  J then looks at me and goes "Your not normally this hard are you?" and P just looked at her and gave her a luck while I laughed.  After a while I hear P go "Oh Shit!" and felt the needle being pulled out quickly.  That's when she apologized over and over again and said that my hand was going to really bruise and apologized again.  I just told her not to worry and that it was okay.  Then J goes "We have to do another one" and asked what my other hand was like.  I hesitated and said that my left hand might not be a good idea because I have surgery the next Monday and didn't want to loose too many veins.  P and J disagreed and P thought they could do both tests and J thought there wasn't enough.  I was given a choice of doing another stick then or have the possibility of having to come back to redo the tests.  I chose to stop for the day. [Note: This is the Sunday after and I still have a massive bruise on my right hand :S]

That was on Tuesday, my mom had a dr's appointment on Thursday when Dr. B's secretary told my mom that the blood work was in and to have me call her (but I didn't get the message until after the office closed for the day).  Then on Friday I got a call from the MRI department saying they had a date on July 7th for my MRI, unfortunately I had to decline that date because we won't be here as we are going out of town.  So I go on July 9th at 5pm to get the MRI on my right shoulder.  Thankfully the xrays I had done a couple of months ago will be okay so I don't have to get those redone.

No comments:

Post a Comment