Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Things going pretty well

Making some pretty good progress around here. Some of it for me, some for others.  For me, as my nephew is my number 1 priority in life, the most important part is that my dad has decided that maybe we should try medications for his 'inattentive adhd'.  Mom agreed and has made an appointment to see the doctor about it next week.  Mom does want to ask a bunch of questions as she is worried because K is a very very poor eater and one side effect is lack of appetite.  Secondly it can cause problems sleeping and K wakes up most nights in the middle of the night and is wide awake for an hour or so (he reads his book while he is awake).  We are going to try a few things about the sleeping issues and as much as I don't want K to have to go through bloodwork, I really think he should get checked out vitamin and health wise to make sure he isn't missing anything important (he does take a daily multivitame and does eat a bit from each food group except meat, but he eats eggs for protein).  I think dad changed his mind as he has seen just how frustrated and upset K gets when he forgets things and how he gets really down on himself for forgeting things or not grasping what you are trying to tell him and none of that is his fault.  We won't lose anything by trying the medications route.  If it doesn't help him it's no big deal and we just stop giving them to him but I would rather do that than look back in ten years time and go through the 'what if's' of what could be done for him.

Secondly, I go in next tuesday for a Barium Swallow Test.  Really really not looking forward to this but am hoping it will provide some answers.  I am having issues eating certain items.  Any meat with an ounce of fat on it, I can just not swallow.  Breads are another no-no.  Certain textures just won't go down either.  I can eat only very small quantaties between the horrible heart burn (already on omeprazole for this) or the intense nausea I get once I start eating.  I am having problems with feeling like I am getting something stuck in my throat all the time.  Feels like I have no gag reflex at all.  I take a pill and can feel it still in my throat and have to take another drink of water for it to go all the way down.  I 'choke' on water when drinking so stick to a straw 90% of the time as that seems to help.  I have also had the feeling for a very long time that my esophagus (I am horrid at spelling) gets kinks in it that are semi-painful that I have to rub my throat and try to get it realxed before things feel better.  However, I am also very nervous about this test.  From what I have read it sounds basically like a tilt table test to check what you are drinking.  I can have nothing to eat or drink from midnight the night before and thankfully I am an early morning appointment slot.  I am assuming that I should stop the omeprazole before the test so that the GERD will show up but I am not sure how long before hand.  Als I am worried about the autonomic stuff if this test is in fact like a tilt table. One the one hand I am thinking that maybe I should skip my dose becasue I will be fasting and don't want a repeat of what happened after surgery but on the other hand I am thinking that I should take an extra dose to counteract the possible POTS flare up from the movement of the test.  I am going to call my GP tomorrow as I have to make an appointment anyways and ask them about the medications, sadly though they have really no clue as to the autonomic issues to truly understand.

So basically two good things progressing around here which I thought I would share with all of you.  I am glad that my parents have finally opened up to the possibility of medicating K.  Don't get me wrong, I hate the fact that K might have to take medications but if it helps him to truly reach his potential I am all for it.  He is above average in intelligence but tests way below that level.  I just want him to get some self-confidence in himself and have him realize and accept that he is really one smart kid.

If anyone has had a barium swallow test and has any ideas / suggestions about the medication issues I am dealing with (mainly the beta blocker) I would to hear them!  If you have done this test and have suggestions let me know too please :)

1 comment:

  1. hi stacey

    i hope im not too late with commenting. had a rough few days.

    i had a barium swallow. i had to lay down a suck the mixture, fizzy chalky, i was expecting the mixture to taste really bad but to me it was ok. i kept on my meds for p.o.t.s, i asked they said it was ok for me to do so. the test didnt take too long, had to get up slowly afterwards, the usual. i made them aware of the pots symptoms, the dr was interested in the condition as he hadnt heard of it before, asked me the full name so he could look it up!

    i was ok, it was a test, you get the pots symptoms, i think i always expect the worse from tests now, had a cup of tea afterwards, so i was ok. everyone is different, i hope the tests goes ok for you, keeping my fingers crossed. take care. em xxxx

    ReplyDelete