Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Slightly shocked!

So on friday I had my pre-op anesthesiologist appointment for the dental surgery that I have to have done (but still don't have a date for).  It was at 8am in the morning in town (20 minute drive) so that sucked!  I had all the paperwork done and figured it would be an in and out appointment.  I was kind of right.  I get called back and the doctor (can't remember his name, he had a strong accent and his last name was quite long) and we start going over the paperwork.  Of course one of the first things is medications.  He asked why I was on the pain meds and I described that I had EDS and went into the little talk.  "It's a connective tissue disorder that affects the collagen in my body.  Main problems are my joints because they dislocate and become injured very easily".  I then show him the thumb to wrist and backwards fingers because he looked honestly interested.  I felt bad though as I usually take the article dealing with EDS and local's but figured I had done this enough with no doctor's looking at it so I gave up.  We talked for a good five minutes just on EDS and how it affects me and how it would affect or change the job of the anesthesiologist in the operating room.  He then asked about the beta blockers so I go "Well I have a condition called autonomic dysfunction..." and he interupts and says "Oh I learned about that seven years ago!  Is that part of your syndrome?" and seemed really excited about it and started asking a whole lot of questions.  After like another five minutes talking about that.  He then continued with the paperwork, asked about anesthetics, was very interested in the fact that the local's don't work and then asked if I had been officially tested for an allergic reaction to local's! I had never heard of that.  I just said that I figure because they don't work anyways it doesn't matter if I have a true allergy or not.  Might ask my GP about it next appointment though.  He did the breif physical at this point and asks to see the range in my neck then kinda grinned and said "I guess we don't have to worry about that huh?".  On the way out he said he was glad to meet me and that I was giving him a lot of reading this weekend cause he was going to go and learn more about EDS and refresh himself with the Autonomic Dysfunction.  Unfortunatly because I don't have a surgery date yet there is no telling if he will actually be my anesthetist or not, but he took really good notes in case it's someone different!

If you remember, last week I had xrays done on my shoulder.  Well I called the GP's office and of course no abnormalities showed up.  In a way I was hoping something would show up for once that can be fixed.  Guess I will have to see wha my GP is going to do about it now.  I am already wanting to ask for an MRI since mine is so old and done before I injured the shoulder.   Thankfully he is back in office again and I have an appointment on thursday to see him.  Will have to get started on my list of things to go over soon so I don't forget anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment