Thursday, October 14, 2010

Am I A Horrible Person?

... I could really couldnt care less about people who end up with serious diseases because of their own stupidity.  I have two family members who are like this and a third who can be kind of considered in this category as well.  This person first.

1) This is a person who has gone through health problems, has very legitimate health problems that have been 'fixed' but because of age, the issues of pain are coming back.  They did see a surgeon and physiotherapist that have both said that at the age they are at nothing drastic could be done.  Due to past issues (dependancy issues 30+ years ago) they will not touch a pain killer no matter how much pain they are in.  Okay, I get this, being in chronic pain constantly I can understand not wanting to really give in to that.  However I have learned limits.  This person will do a full twelve hour, heavily physical type of job at home and then become so grumpy that everyone else avoids them for weeks at a time.  It's not my fault you wont treat the pain you put yourself in and continue to abuse your body for no good reason even though they know they will be in pain (and be a pain in the ass).

2) This person I could be very happy if I never had to see of or hear of again for the rest of my life.  I don't hold grudges and am pretty easy going but this person I absolutly genuinely hate and thankfully I no longer feel guilty for hating this person like everyone thinks I should be.  This person is a long-time, in-and-out drug addict.  They have caused much pain and anger in the family.  During one of his 'unclean' times when he was using IV drugs and having unprotected sex with a person he barely knew, they ended up with Hep. C.  Well this person went through a chemo type of treatment and decided to use that as an excuse for basically verbally (well email) harrassing me.  Oh and this person blames the partner for everything and then willingly took a perscription for pain killers during the chemo but it wasnt their fault either, the dr pushed them :S So because of their complete negligance and 'god-complex' (nothing can go wrong with me and if it does i just blame everyone else).

3) The third person is kinda the most recent.  As far as I am concerned, they are a hypochondriac that always wants to 'compare' and rate other diseases.  We went for a good year or so with this person mimicing my symptoms (with just a slight varience).  They were finally diagnosed with "fibromyalgia" (Don't get me wrong I totally believe this is a real disease but it is way too often used as a 'stop bugging me about this so I will give you a disorder so you will shut up').  Long story short, they then started to abuse pain medications and had other family members looking at me and comparing our situations.  This person was very easily convinced into having a gastric bypass surgery that has lead to full out drug addiction (buying Rx meds on the street and stealing their son's adhd meds), possible anorexia (they are sickly looking) and a whole lot of other mainly psychological issues.  This person never did the pre-counseling and stuff that the doctor told them that they had to do before surgery.  Even worse is that they used post-op 'issues' to score more drugs and underwent a second surgery again so they had a script for pain killers.  This person has never gone for a follow-up with the clinic in the states that performed the surgery.  They also do NOT follow a healthy diet or any type of follow up medical care.  These are very important (and stated in the pre-pre-op seminar tha I ended up going with her to as I knew the area better than she did) as they keep a close eye on different levels in your blood and urine as let's face it, a body is not equipped to handle a gastric bypass and you are basicaly starving your body of absortion of all your minerals and necessary vitamins.  The least you should be doing is getting a local dr to order blood tests pretty frequently to try and avoid serious health issues.  Well this person did none of that at all.  The last time that the police were called and took them to the hospital and put her in on a 'hold' they did bloodwork and found out that this person has Rheumatoid Arthritis.  Well I did a quick 5 second search on google and find out that this is a very very very common outcome in a person that has had gastric bypass normally and that basically that if you dont follow a healthy diet and vitamin regieme, your doomed.  This person has also screwed up her entire health history because they wanted to take the easy way out (they had lost quite a bit of weight on WW) with their weight problem (which really wasn't overly horrible) and decided to just not go to any follow-up visits with their doctors in the states nor their doctor's in their home town.  Becaues of the original surgery, there are very few medications that can be taken to help the RA and it is a procedure that can not be reversed.  So yes, they may have a smaller body but they are only in their early 30's and have a body that completely shut down because it was being abused.  This person is also on a methadoe treatment plan for addiction becasue they had a perscription pill addiction (of course it's the doctor's fault again) and is waiting to get into a inpatient treatment center, however there are very few in our province and they will be waiting for quite a while to get in.  So add to the gastric bypass, the RA, the other vitamin and mineral deficiencies that they are a drug addict and if they ever try going back on pain killers to help the pain, they will end up back at square one as an addict all over again.  We are heading to their hometown next weekend and I am just dreading it.  Every visit up there turns into a full on debate about this persons latest issue in their life.

As someone how has serious health problems that I have absolutly no say in, I just cant feel sorry for these people who go out and end up with diseases just because of pure negligence on thier part.  I save my empathy and concern fo those who do not create their own health problems and are very very involved and proactive in their own health.  I know this probably makes me a horrible person but honestly, i just dont care.

*PS I know there are horrible grammar issues in this post but I wanted to keep it pretty neutral and not slip up on something.

No comments:

Post a Comment