Monday, April 30, 2012

Dentist Appointment

I knew going into the appointment that I was going to have to get a few more fillings, and becasue I can't have local's or sedatives that means that I have to go under a general anesthetic to get just simple fillings done.  There are two caveties and 2 places that have small chips that will eventually end up with caveties so they want to put a filling in those to prevent them.  I am also asking when I have the surgery about them putting caps on some of the molars to stop the deep pitting that is so common in EDS.

There was a surprise though, I got back in the chair and the hygenist was going over my health history and medication list and said well you definitly have severe dry mouth, I can tell that just from hearing the talk.  That was surprising as I had just downed half a bottle of water!  We talked about it more and she was surprised at how dry my mouth was.  I then got up the courage to ask if this was medications that caused it.  She told me that yes some of it was medicatoins but it was beyond dry mouth just by medications.  I told her we were talking about autoimmune disorders and she confirmed that she believed that with the severity of the dry mouth, she would consider that a very positive sign of an autoimmune disorder.

The gave me a sample pack of Biotene products, told me to use a fluoride rinse nightly and to always have a bottle of water on me to drink.  They had a surgery date of May 11th but unfortunatly I couldn't get an anesthesiologist consult in time for that date.  I will be having it done this summer at some point.  The thing that sucks is ODSP only covers 1 cleaning per year!!!  So I am going to have to look up prices and see how much I would have to pay out of pocket to get cleanings more frequently.

1 comment:

  1. hope your jaw,teeth,gums dont hurt too much stacey. i find for a few days afterwards sometimes mine do. x

    ReplyDelete