Sunday, April 1, 2012

Journey to Becoming a Zebra - Part Three

This is going to be a very short entry (for once) because in reality most of the things that have happened since are in the blog or have had the results of them in the blog (or emails, private messages, facebook etc).  So basicaly I am just going to write down what happened immediately after the appointment and then what the next 6 months held 'life' wise and not medically wise.  To do medically wise I think it will be easiest to just make a post of the 'facts' that have been dealt with since the diagnosis.

The first days:
Thankfully I have amazing parents.  When I got the appointment to see the geneticist my dad drove 2.5 hours from 'hometown' to 'university-town' and then the day after we both drove to 'dr-town' for the appointment (mom couldn't come becasue she had to work and look after K), we had the appointment and then decided that I was going to go home for a few days while we figured it all out.  I was 99.9% sure that I was getting the EDS diagnosis but it still was a big adjustment.  I needed a few days before getting back to my real life. 

Life events:
I went back to 'university-town' a few days later and continued to work my ass of and am proud of the fact that I was able to get my Honours Bachelor of Science in Computer Science as well as a minor in Math.  I was (and am) so very happy that I was able to acheive that before everything started getting so bad.  And that challenging and hard of a degree probably actually attributed to the reason I went down hill so fast that last year. I got a summer job but I was unable to keep it as it was a lot of typing on very old computers (harder keys to push and a different layout to the one I was used to) and no chances of small breaks.  I was going to go back for one more year (as I had surgery scheduled for that november - which never happened but I won't go into that) but had my wisdom teeth out on the 3rd of September and go back to school on the 7th, I wasn't recovered, we were dealing with a lot of medications trying to do the pain management part and I ended up with a bad infection following the wisdom teeth extraction so by mid-october I knew that I just could no long do the school thing (plus the fact that most of my friends were gone by then so I was kinda alone).  I moved back into my parents house permanantly and have been lucky enough that my parents are perfectly happy with our strange little family dynamic (my parents, myself and my grandson) and it was a mutually pleasing aragement as I was there for my nephew.

No comments:

Post a Comment