Monday, May 30, 2011

Medication change

With my rheumatologist out of the picture for an unknown length of time (if he ever even comes back to practising that is) I was running out of my pain medications.  I had called two week ago and was told that there were no appointments available until June 13th!  I told her the situation and she told me to stop by on May 30th for a medication refill and made an appointment for June 13th.

I was nervous going to this 'visit', I wouldn't actually see the doctor per say.  I went in, the nurse gave me a chair in the hall and asked what I needed.  Well I had written down the medications I wanted and what dose.  I was on Med-contin A and Med-breakthrough A and wanted to switch to Med-contin B and Med-Breakthrough B as the 'A's weren't working anymore.  I expected at least a bit of hassle as my GP does not like me and pain medications.  I handed her the paper and mentioned that I was switching them.   She went in to her room to print them out and then came back to me in the hall.  I was waiting for her to say that they would not switch them without an appointment but she actually just asked how many of the breakthrough meds that I normally get!  She printed out the papers, my GP came out, looked at them, signed them and handed them to me without saying a word!

The only thing that sucked about the day is I came home and was telling my mom about it (she expected a 'fight' as well) and as soon as I told her the story she just looked at me and told me to go to bed.  Apparently my eyes were black so she went and found me some benedryl and told me to take a few and get some sleep as I looked horrible!  I did benedryl every four hours for a day and a half and finally the 'racoon eyes' were over.  Still kinda shocked about the GP though! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment