Friday, February 25, 2011

Kinda ticked off

This isn't really important but it is bugging me so I figure a good vent should get it out of my system so I can move on from it.  I have already wrote that my dad is not in favour of me having more surgery on my knee (we don't even know if it will be suggested yet) and really wants me to go the bracing and physio route.  He had the OS at the clinic write me up a perscription for one and had me go right then and there to their small orthopedic store to try some on. Here is where the annoyance comes in:

Before even entering the store I told my dad that I didn't think it would be covered through ODSP as I would have to submit a claim first and then see if and what would be covered.  We went in and the first brace was horrible.  When I said this my dad's face just dropped as if I had told him the most disappointing news in the world.  It was and felt horrible!  The second brace didn't feel to bad and I walked around and tried it on and when I said it wasn't too bad and that it might help dad perked up big time.  I took it off and went to get changed.  When I come back into the store I find that my dad has bought it and when I made mention of this fact he said "Don't worry about it, it's worth it if it might help".

On the way home I come to find out (while going through the stack of papers that we left with) that the brace that was bought cost $120!!  Now if I had of known that fact I would never have agreed to it. First off that amount is just ridiculus and I could have gone online to get it cheaper. Second I have very very little faith that it will help and fear it is just going to do more harm to my knee.  Third I just can't afford that!  We get home and I have worn it around a few times and it hurts like hell.  I should have known better I guess and not even tried that route as I knew the likelyhood of it helping was very small.  What really pisses me off is when mom asks if I have put it through ODSP yet as dad was getting low on money so mom paid him back for the brace and wanted to know when I would find out and be able to pay her back!  I was just stunned!  So the other day I got in touch with my caseworker as I had a pile of questions to ask her and I asked about the brace and she said that nothing could be done about it because I didn't submit to a pre-approval type of thing and that I paid out of pocket right up front for it.  So I tell mom this and she tells me not to worry and that I can pay her back just small amounts at a time (plus I owe her half of the $120 vet visit from when she stepped on and hurt my dog which I am also not too pleased about). 

So to sum it up:
  • I only got the stupid thing because my dad wanted me to try it
  • Even the doctor (not the fellow, the dr) told us that it was something that we could try but would not be a long term solution
  • I told him that I was pretty sure that you had to submit an estimate first before ODSP would cover it
  • Dad didn't even tell me the price and let me make a decision
  • Dad bought the brace while I was not even in the room so I have no clue about if there is anything like a return policy or the like
  • When I asked about him getting it I was told 'Don't worry about it' which lead me to assume he knew I was short on money and could not afford a brace like that and that he was going to buy it for me
  • I hate that brace so much as it hurts so bad and makes things hurt so much worse
  • When I asked dad if they had a return policy he says he doesn't know and 'isn't the brace helping?'! Hello have you seen my wear it? When I do the pain is horrible and I am laid up all night so I barely wear it.
Okay, vent over.  I am just really annoyed with my dad as I feel he lead me on as I would have never paid $120 for a brace that I knew would most likely not work.  And now the good feeling of my paying of one chunk of debt is gone because I now owe my mom $180 (which is a lot considering the amount I get per month for ODSP)

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't it suck when people's good intentions only end up making things worse? Sorry to hear about your troubles, I am familiar with both financial hardship and problems communicating with family members. My thoughts are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it does! Thankfully I was talking to my mom about it and how much money I owe them and said that if only I had not have got that brace it wouldn't have been too bad. She goes, well that is kinda your dad's fault rushing in and getting it without thinking about cost so don't worry about it. I said that it would make them short on money and she says that it did last month but they were fine now as they got their cheque.

    As a note my dad is off on 'medical retirement' until april when he officially retires and my mom retired a few years ago so we are all pretty short of money at times but do our best and lend each other money if they need it so she realized how short that it would leave me.

    Thanks for the comment :) BTW I am going to do a blog roll but just not sure where I want it placed. Either done the side or create a seperate 'page' for it so it's in the tabs at the top. If anyone has suggestions let me know!

    ReplyDelete