Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Stupidity + Stuborness = Bad Night!

As I still can not drive I can only get into town when my mom is wanting to go.  Well we went in today to pick up a few things and check out the cheap valentines stuff on sale ;).  First off we realized that my crutch was in the truck and not the van so we had to go in to the house dad was at (helping a friend doing some renovations) to get the crutch.  We then had to figure out our 'game plan'

First stop - Walmart:  We got there and I didn't take my crutch as I figured I would just push the cart.  Well we did our rounds, I got the few things that I needed and then saw a nice storage ottoman that seemed to be very similar in colour to my couch (or they had black) and I went back and forth about whether I wanted to get it or not.  See I payed off the last of my credit line this month by putting on three times the amount I usually do so was concerned about running short at the end of the month.  Mom then says that she will get a cheque on friday so if I needed she could lend me some then so we figured that it was such a deal that we went in and got the ottoman.  It's nice, a bit darker in colour than the couch and has a nice size compartment to put things in and was on sale for $20 instead of $30.

Second Stop - Bulk Barn: I just had to run in and get some rawhides for the dogs so mom dropped me off right at the door and I went in without my crutch but got in and out pretty quickly.

Third Stop - Harvey's: We got there and I figured I didn't need my crutch here either as we were just going in to eat.  However, I didn't do too much eating as I was tired, in pain and having issues swollowing food.

Fourth Stop - Shoppers: The had nothing in the way of valenties sales so we left and headed to the other Shoppers store.  There I got one box of 1/2 off Lindt chocolate as well as some normal chocolate as it was on sale and a few other small items.

Fifth Stop - Food Basics: I took my crutch into this store as I was getting tired and there were no real close spots.  We needed to get some more of my flavoured water and thought that it was a presidents choice store but it wasn't (I get presidents choice flavoured water that are 0 calories and sweetened with sucralose and not aspertame - which gives me instant migraines.  Unfortunatly the last batch we got at our local store tasted off so we were hoping to get more bottles that didn't have the expirey date the bad batch had.

Sixth Stop - Back in Corunna, Shoppers: Went in because I saw a really pretty like black iron-y butterfly that I had thought would look good above my couch originally.  Then I had a different idea that mom and I think will look very very cool so I wanted to double check that one at shoppers to see if it could go somewhere else but it will be too big anywhere else.

Seventh Stop - No Frills: I took my crutch into this store as well because my leg was getting really sore and tired feeling.  Did some basic shopping done just in time to get to the school to get K.

Now my leg is just killing me!  The pain is all around my knee, front /back, lateral / medial /, top/bottom etc. I am also getting stabbing pain on the lower medial side of my knee and real 'achey' (doesn't seem like a strong enough word for the feeling) all the way from the knee and half way up the thigh on the lateral side.  I have iced it, taken a few doses of pain meds, took some advil but it is still very sore.  Apparently next time I should use the crutch everywhere so I don't stretch or hurt anything :S

2 comments:

  1. I have a problem with this too... I often only think to use my cane when I am already in pain, even though in reality, using it more frequently would help to prevent such pain! It is only in the last year that I have broken down and started using assistive aids, and I am having a hard time accepting the change.

    It seems as though the "but you don't look sick" mentality that we face everyday from other people even creeps into our own minds sometimes! We "forget" that even though we are not currently in pain, our illness is always lurking and waiting to flare.

    Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had thought that my knee was feeling a bit better so I would try to do some walking. It wasn't too bad while walking (adreneline I guess?) but was really bad that night. We did some grocery shopping and walking in the hospital today and I made sure to use my crutch both times.

    I know what you mean about not wanting to 'give in' and use something. I have gone so many years trying to prove to people that I can do things and trying to mask the pain as to not upset people but that can be pretty self-harming if it goes to far.

    Thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete