Monday, June 6, 2011

My nephew's doctor appointment

Well the actualy doctor's appointment went pretty much as how I expected it in regards to the doctor's news.  It went pretty badly though in regards to my parents reactions.  Well really it was my dad reaction that bothered me and I have to honestly wonder if their fears about what most likely won't happen is hindering them from actually helping him to succeed in school.

Okay, so basically and to the point he feels that K has 'Inattentive ADHD' (He says that there is no ADD vs ADHD anymore, it's all ADHD even if the kid isn't hyperactive - which K definitly is not!).  He strongly suggests medication, and since my mom mentioned before that they were very hesitant about medications, he suggested that the best medication for K would be "vyvanse".  He says it is the most non-abusive option of medication and a non-habit forming medication.  He feels that K would greatly benefit from medication but also acknowledges that most families prefer to expore more conservative measures first before moving on to medications.  He also did say that for the most cases he has seen these may provide results but they never seem to last for the long term.  He also made sure that we knew that even if we decide to not go the medication route, he is still there if we run into problems or need his help with anything.

My parents, especially my dad, are completly anti-medication in regards to K.  It does really really bother me becasue of the status of my own medications.  My parents feel that since K's father and mother are both drug addicts, that K has a higher chance of becoming one as well.  This is true, I don't argue that point, however both the mother and father started drugs by basicaly self-medication.  His dad most likely had ADHD (and possible other mental health issues) and his mother has either schizophrenia or borderline personality disorder.  And it is a well known fact that a lot of people with ADHD that go untreated turn to drugs in their teen, or later, years. 

Okay so now for what my parents, well my dad, majorly disliked about the appointment (and my thoughts on it:
  • The doctor would not shake hands.  Dad offered him his hand and the doctor apologized and said that he didn't shake hands as a practice with being a peditrician. (Maybe this guy is OCD or a germaphobe, I am sure it is not just my dad's hand that he doesnt shake!)
  • Four forms were filled out (done by: dad, mom & I, his teacher and the resource teacher), he commented that 3 of the forms were basically the same but the fourth showed some inconsistancies that he wanted to ask about.  Of course that fourth sheet was the one that dad filled out and he felt that he was being called out (Of course dad's would be different, he doesnt deal with schoolwork at all and just does enjoyable activities with him, the doctor was just asking how his perception was different than ours)
  • He didn't like the analogies that the doctor kept using and felt that he was being talked down to by the doctor (He's used to kids so uses basic analagies all the time, he was just trying to make sure his point got across clearly)
Basically he just made sure that everyone knows that he could not stand that doctor but basically, he was not going to like the doctor just becasue he gave proof that there is actually something wrong with K.  Nothing has been discussed about the matter at all in the house and I believe that the paper that had the medication name written down was thrown out.  I just remember because I saved it for the time that hopefully my parents see the light and realize that medication might just be the best route for K.  He is a smart kid, his IQ type tests all show that he is getting marks well below his ability.  He is getting frustrated with school because of his issues and that is just not fair for him.

1 comment:

  1. When I worked for the Learning Disabilities association I remember reading a study that showed that kids with ADHD who took medication were less likely to get hooked on other drugs than a kids with ADHD without medication. ADHD kids without meds are also more likely to get into accidents with driving and will have a difficult time getting insurance if not on medication.

    A child with ADHD has different brain chemistry than a child who doesn't. The ADHD child has so many thoughts whirling in their head that it is hard to slow down to focus. The medication lets this happen.

    My brother in law stopped taking his medication when he finished university and suddenly started putting on wieght. He was surprised when I asked him how much coke he was drinking (several cans a day). Essentially he was self medicating. The coke or coffee offer a milder effect similar to meds but that much caffiene is dangerous for the heart esspecially for kids.

    I was very reluctant to go the medication route for both of my boys but believe with all my heart that it was the best choice for them.

    I hope that they are able to come to terms with a solution that will be about what is best for your nephew instead of projecting your brother's choices/experience on him.

    ReplyDelete