Tuesday, January 18, 2011

February 1st!

Wow... I was getting concerned as to how I was going to deal with this knee issue while waiting to get into a good hospital setting in the largest city near us (a little over an hour drive to get there).  It sucks to be in this much pain constantly after having a few years when my pain levels are tolerable without having to rely on breakthrough meds that often.  However, since I injured my knee my pain levels are considerably higher.  Thankfully Dr. W (Rheumy) realizes this and did not even hesitate to order up an extra fill on my breakthrough meds (including instructions to have them call him if they have any concerns about filling it more frequently than usual).  I am getting sick of the not being able to do much but that's not to annoying because I generally don't even feel like doing much. 

What I am tired of is the just not knowing what's going on.  Did I mess up the old surgeries?  Did I injure the other side of the knee?  The ACL? Meniscuc? Tendon?  Will I require more surgery? or even more daunting is the Will I be told that there is nothing to do for it and it will just take time to 'heal'.  This isnt a normal injury, I know that but will I be able to get a new doctor who isn't familiar with my knee history or medical history to listen to me?

Anyways, dad woke me up around noonish telling me that I got a call and I am going to see Dr. F (Orthopedic Surgeon) at the clinic I used to go to, what date, at what time, to show up 30 minutes early, what to bring etc.  I had to ask again what the date was as I was sure I heard it wrong!  I go on the first of februaury!  I see Dr. F, not Dr. M who my rheumy had sent the referal to, have to get copies of my recent x-rays and take shorts and a t-shirt.  Will have to get in touch with the local hospital nearer the end of the week so I can get a digital copy of my x-rays with the radiologists report (not sure if it would be done yet so waiting a few days).

I realize that I have a very large knee history.  I have decided that I will start posting my knee saga.  It will be in many parts as it is pretty long (many dr's, 3 operations, a cancelled operation etc).  I will try to start at the beginning and move on until up to the latest injury.

2 comments:

  1. It's sad they can't just do a knee replacement for you, instead of making you go through all these crazy procedures. My cousin's having both hips replaced and he's only 30! Just seems a waste of time going to all these docs when you know the knee is pretty much toast! I hope this new Dr. F is a good one and is able to give you some real help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I wish they would just do a replacement. I was told 7 years ago that one was needed, I just had to get older :S That was before the EDS diagnosis though, so might have a different opinion this time. I just want something done

    ReplyDelete