Monday, January 17, 2011

Some good news and knee update

Still haven't heard anything about my knee which is really starting to bother me.  I have looked through all of my old braces and the majority are tracking braces which do me no good.  They are ones that my old old OS and PTists ordered that have the hole cut out for the patella and different support structures.  However my last OS told me that I should not wear those as when I would wear them,  my knee would be a lot worse and the braces would start slipping down my leg and actually pull my knee out while it was going down.  I do have my large post-op hinged brace but it is so big that I really don't want to wear it.  It was bad enough wearing it for 8 weeks after the last surgery.  I did break down and went in to the larger drugstore in town today to look at braces but the only one I could see that wouldn't case more damage was just a compression slip on type of wrap.  I got it as it has to be easier than trying to keep my knee wrapped in an ace bandage while making sure none of the 'rubber' on the edges of the ace bandage touches my skin.  I don't need anymore scars on this knee! 

Mom wants me to call Dr. W's office (check out the 'Doctor's' tab at the top to see each doctor's specialty) to ask what I should do next.  Well what is that going to do?  All they could really tell me is if something showed up on the xrays or not and I would hope that if something did show up, then they would call me to let me know.  He is a rheumy so he doesnt deal with structural issues in joints, just rheumatic issues.  So I just keep sitting and waiting.  Going out today I couldn't even use my crutch because my left wrist is acting up again and I already know my knee is shot, I don't want my wrist to get worse becasue I am protecting my knee (I refuse joint sacrifices!).  I just wish it wouldn't be such a long wait to get into the OS I am going to see, but as he is in a big teaching hospital I will just have to wait to know I will get someone good (Since I have been told that no OS in my hometown will even touch me so staying here is not an option!).

Okay, good news - The one and only medication that I was having to pay out of pocket for monthly is now covered under my disability coverage :) That means all my medications are covered at a very very low cost which definitly helps with the money issues.  I also just got off the phone with Dr. B and got an appointment scheduled within 10 days of my surgery (dental) date.  I also see Dr. W that week so will have to get a note from him about the best way to position my body during surgery so my knee isn't put in a position that will agrevate it even more than it already is!  Just waiting on finding out when the pre-admin appointment is and then we will be ready to go.  Just have to figure out which doctor is the one that perscribes the antibiotic pre-op and how I discretly ask the nurse to give me an ativan the day of the surgery (had it given to me once so I could 'calm down', dad nor I thought I was agitated so not sure why I got it, but for the first surgery ever the IV was easy to place and didn't hurt near as much as it normally does)

No comments:

Post a Comment