Sunday, January 9, 2011

Getting Grumpy and Step Two

Well, Shoppers was having a point deal on today so mom and I decided to go in to town to check out a specific store.  With my knee not healing and feeling so unstable it was finaly decdied that I need a shower seat.  Shoppers did not have one so we headed over to Walmart where I bit the bullet and bought the things I will probably need while waiting for an appointment with the new rothopedic surgeon: a shower seat, traction bath mat, ice pack's with holders and a pair of jogging pants as the only pants I have that I can comfortable wear are yoga pants and it is way too cold out for yoga pants!!  We did a bit more running around and I made sure to use my crutch.  Not just using it for balance, but actually putting weight through it and my knee didn't hurt near as much as it did last time I went out.  So going to rely more on the crutch when out and see if that helps.

Got home and dad built the seat and got it all positioned in place.  Then we checked out the studs in the bathroom to look at putting a shelf on the side that I can reach while on the seat and possibly another grab bar at the front of the shower to help me get up safely.  It kinda sucks as I am only 29 years old and the only other person I know of that has a shower seat is my grandma!

I forgot to add something!!  My mom gets it.  She really really is starting to get it and looking at things that will help me.  I went and picked up some sugar-free hard candies to keep in my purse for when I get dry-mouth (what is causing a lot of the dental issues).  I wanted sugar-free for obvious reasons.  Mom than says 'I don't know why you want sugar-free, haven't we already proven that you need sugar fixes to get you through the day?'  Well that got my really really thinking.  As I was walking (well hobbling with my crutch) back to get the normal versions of the candy I got thinking that she made a very valid point.  I get dry mouth it seems almost the same time I get the autonomic issues.  Got to wondering if I get dry mouth because with the autonomic issues, my body gets dehydrated (is the dry mouth autonomic or medication based?) and all level's go haywire (mainly sugar levels) and something sugary generally helps.  So mom made a very good connection that when I have dry-mouth issues might be at times when I actually need the sugar in my system.  Kinda blew me away that she thought of this and I didn't!

2 comments:

  1. True, plus sugar-free stuff is usually worse for you than the real stuff :) The artificial sweeteners always give me a migraine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can handle a few of the artificial sweetners still (most likely they will start having problems though). I thought the sugar free because the sole purpose of the candies are to help with the dry mouth that is causing most of my dental problems. I didn't think dry mouth + sugary candies was a good idea, but once mom mentioend and I made the connection that the dry mouth actually could be the autonomic issues and me getting dehydrated so that sugar in this case could be needed.

    My dentist want's me off sugar completely but does know that I do actually need sugary pop or 'treats' once in a while to give me some energy. As long as the beverage I drink most often is 'sugar free' and I am not gorgeing myself with sugary candies daily, he is happy.

    ReplyDelete