Friday, December 24, 2010

Angry & Upset

I am very, very mad at my body right now!  I twisted my left ankle last Monday so was hobbling around on it, then fell up the stairs on Wednesday twisting the left ankle again and aggravating my left wrist.  I was upset about this but figured it wasn't that big of deal.  We got everything all packed up and ready to go to Owen Sound for Christmas and left this morning.  Because of potentially bad weather we took the truck instead of the van for the trip (3.5 hours).  We got to Reese's Corners and then it happened.  Mom and I went in and got some donuts and drinks and came back out to the truck and got in.

While getting in, and turning to hand something back (really not sure what happened) I managed to slam my right knee right into the dashboard and got it to dislocate / sublux out of place. 'Thankfully' it went right back in but I was in agony.  I took anti-inflams, muscle relaxer and pain killers right away before the pain really set in but it was bad.  Dad asked if I wanted to go to the hospital to get it looked at but I didn't want to mess up the trip and in reality there was nothing the hospital could do for me that I wasn’t already doing.  A little down the road dad pulled over and we got an ice pack out of the bed of the truck and I used an ace bandage to wrap it around my leg (had to put it in one of my socks because it was so cold) - I was very resourceful!

I hobbled out to get to the bathroom in Kincardin where we stopped for lunch and by the time I got back to the car I was nauseated and in lots of pain again.  Right when we got to the far side in Owen Sound, my pain meds were running out so I was feeling pretty rough and I guess I got pretty pale and looked like I was in pain and dad asked again if I wanted him to take me to the hospital and I said no, that there was no way you could even pay me to go to this particular hospital! We got to my Nan's place and I took over her recliner and basically stayed there the entire evening.  I sat at the table to eat supper but near the end I was having too many muscle spasms so I had dessert in her recliner. I have just been icing it and keeping up to time with the muscle relaxers (only time I use these meds is after dislocations to try and keep the spasms away) anti-inflams (fair bit of swelling laterally but pretty bad medially) and pain killers.  I did make a mistake and didn't take the muscle relaxers around my supper dose so that is probably why the spasms got out of hand then.

Tomorrow is Christmas and we are going to my cousin's place which is right across the small driveway / parking area in the townhouse complex.  I can't bend my knee much and its generally okay as long as I keep it straight.  We are cramming 13 people into a small townhouse living room tomorrow for gifts and I have no clue as to where I am going to sit to be able and keep it 'settled'. 

Well it's going to be a rough night and getting up early isn’t going to be fun (as well as being in a very hostile environment the entire day with all the family so I better go and try to get as much sleep as I can!

Merry Christmas  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment