Saturday, December 25, 2010

Happy, yet still annoyed

I could not get sleep last night with the pain and my knee felt like it was boiling hot!  I kept it up on a few pillows so it would be raised but finally got to sleep around 1ish. Woke up at 5ish and couldn’t get to sleep so I played around with my phone then got back to sleep. K woke me up around 6:30 but I was able to get him to go back to sleep until 7:30 when we got up and headed to the living room.  Well Santa didn’t come to this house because the entire family was getting together at another place.  Around 8 we all went over there to get things started.  K and I went in our PJ’s (I couldn’t wear my jeans or cords as my knee was so swollen and tender) and we got our seats then we all started in on our stockings. 

Little tidbit here, Santa still brings me a stocking because I have no children and I am not married.  Once you have kids or get married Santa no longer brings you gifts.  K and I both got LOTS of chocolates in our stockings and other fun little things (soap pouf thing, hair elastics, fuzzy socks etc).  Around 9 my aunt and her ‘husband/fiancé/boyfriend’ came in and we started opening presents.  It was nice this year as the kids are older (9(K), 10(D2) and 13(D1)) so we were able to have them open one present at a time so everyone could see what they got, for the most part at least.  K of course was very spoiled ;) Some hotwheel builder sets, U-build Mousetrap, Yugio game, some Wii games and lots more.  I (being the only ‘real’ aunt) spoiled him with some cool books, lego star wars book, Bionicle set and the main gift for him was his own real camcorder (cheap version of course but more than enough for him and he loves it!).  We also got two joint gifts from Santa – Epic Mickey for the Wii and the Harry Potter Lego Board Game which we are going to try out tomorrow when we get home.  Personally I got all 3 Twilight movies on Blu-Ray, a ‘start-up kit’ for my wii (with component cables, wireless sensor bar and induction charging station!), a Vampire Diaries book, the latest Professor Layton game for the DS, and my favourite – Michael Jackson’s “Vision”: all the music video’s he has ever done including the duets he has done! (I am a HUGE MJ fan!).  Of course we also got dad’s gift early / late depending on how you look at it.  He paid half of the amount for mom and I to go see “Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour - Cirque du Soliel” that I bought a few months ago but that we don’t go to see until October of next year.  Then dad surprised us by also getting us a hotel room for the night of the concert since it is being held in a town about an hour away from us so that will make it nice as well. 

Okay, enough about presents – did I mention K LOVED his camcorder? lol I swear, once I showed him how to use it, he had it going 85% of the day. Taping him playing games with his cousin, our very exciting game of ‘Trivial Pursuit: Family Edition (TP from here on)’ (an entire 17 minute video lol).  After doing the presents we came back to my Nan’s place for breakfast.  Unfortunately my knee is still pretty bad so I took over the recliner again for the majority of the day :(.  We had breakfast (bacon, eggs and toast) then everyone kinda drifted into groups: The men in the living room watching TV, most of the women getting all the vegetables and supper stuff prepared and the kids playing with K’s new nerf-like guns.  After a bit D2 wanted to play his new TP game that we had got him so my aunt played, my cousin and D2 were a team (for a bit until my cousin could not stop falling asleep – separate issue), D1 and K and I as a team.  It’s nice as it had separate questions for adults and kids.  We couldn’t decide whether D1 should have adult or kid but gave him kid cards anyways.  Not much happened after that, supper started to get ready, the kids were playing and I went into the living room with most of the guys and we watched some of a “The Big Bang Theory’ marathon that was on.  Supper went well, lots of good food - my favourite still is Nan’s jello!  She makes up orange jello and puts mandarin orange slices in it and then lets it set, there were a good few years that only Nan and I ate any of it but she still makes it.  More of the in-laws are starting to eat it now but it still basically is made up for me (yes I know I am a suck, I am the youngest and only un-married and childless of my generation).

After supper we basically just got everything cleaned up (a big job when you have 10 adults, 3 kids and a very small townhouse kitchen!) and then just sat around talking and continuing to watch “TBBT”.  D1 and my cousin’s husband (so his uncle) went over to his place to play another game of TP than my aunt and her guy left to go home. D2 and his parents went home not that long after that and we just sat around talking some more and mainly watching TBBT. My other cousin decided to go home as well around 8 so dad suggested that we watch K’s new movie – “Despicable Me” (we being my parents, K, Nan and myself which was nice to spend some time just us and her) and even though I had already seen it before, it’s still hilarious.  After the movie K came / went to ‘our’ bedroom and started to watch his other new movie ‘Home Alone’ (got him all 4 of the movies in a box set), and dad watched ‘Transformers’ on TV.  Of course, the topic of conversations changed to the topic it always changes to so that was pretty crappy as I really don’t like that topic as the people up here love to complain about it but have made absolutely no steps at all to try and help it, even in the very slightest of ways.  You can only tell a person the same thing so many times before you just don’t want to get in to it again because you have told them all they need to know and the wont act on any of it.  Did get quite a few good points into my Nan though and I really hope she remembers them and passes along some of the information to the person / people who need to hear it.  Nan doesn’t know what to do but after all the talking we did I tried telling her and I really hope that she listened to it, but she is doing the exact right thing that she should be doing.  We know she can’t do certain things even when those things are hurting someone in the long run, but she has modified those things to do them the proper way (wow how convoluted was that sentence!).  By this point it was midnight so all the ‘adults’ and K went to sleep.

I of course can’t sleep.  I am in a lot of pain and it really, really sucks.  I feel horrible because most of the time I have had to ask my mom or someone else to get things for me because I really don’t want to walk too much on my leg.  I even apologized to mom today and later told her that in all honesty, if we were at home right now I would be using my crutches.  I let an extra hour go between doses of Robax (muscle relaxer & anti-inflam) and Advil (to take my Advil dose up to the equivalent of 2 extra strength pills) and I felt it.  I even started getting sweaty because of it!  The good thing about this weekend is that we are seeing just how my pain levels are actually affecting my autonomic issues!  If I get lots of pain I start getting sweaty (in my autonomic ‘areas’, not in the normal areas where you sweat when you are hot) and feeling lightheaded.  I had planned on going to do some boxing day shopping tomorrow and then we were going to drive home in the afternoon but lucky me, I can’t walk and I sure as hell aren’t going to huge stores to get pushed around by lots of people when my knee is this unsteady. 

Instead the tentative plan is that mom and I will go in on Monday (the 27th) to do some shopping at Walmart and I can get one of the motorized scooters to get around.  I really just want to look at the electronics so it’s not like we will be there long.  We will then pick up my ice cream cake (cookie dough blizzard on top, crunchy fudge layer than vanilla soft serve on the bottom) at dairy queen, pick up K’s birthday cake (chocolate cake with white frosting with yellow trim and red lettering) at the local grocery store and get home.  Oh, before we even go to town we have to go and pick up our puppies :D  We put them in a kennel this time (which I didn’t really like...) as there are already enough animals up here and we didn’t need two other dogs under foot.  Besides Tazzy is psycho and massively hyper and Shaggy doesn’t really like it up here with all the chaos going around and he did bite D2 once (when he was in the back bedroom with me lying down and D2 came charging in the door yelling and Shaggy went to protect me and ended up biting him in the back.  I know Shaggy was bad but I mean honestly D2 shouldn’t have barged in on me like that, Shaggy is very protective of me especially if I am tired or hurt and there was no reason for D2 to come in, we were in the back room so I could keep Shags away from the kids, anyways that is enough, a bit of a sore spot with me!). 

It should be interesting though as Shaggy is so protective of me and I managed to hurt myself pretty badly when he wasn’t around.  Usually if I get hurt he is right there in an instant before anyone else even notices and he has been known to ‘herd’ people away from me if I am hurt (like when I first got him and dislocated my wrist he made himself into a barrier to keep my dad away from me as he didn’t realize that dad was coming to wrap up my wrist).  I am keeping my fingers crossed that I haven’t don’t damage to my knee.  This may sound crazy but I am not totally sure which way my knee actually dislocated, like if it was medially or laterally.  There is a lot of swelling on the medial side, there is some on the lateral side but not nearly as bad as on the medial (keep in mind that 95% of the time I don’t swell after all with an injury).  Either way I just really hope I didn’t mess up the surgeries from 2002!  When we get home tomorrow I will probably get my old ice machine out and probably at least one crutch and try to just stay non-weight bearing on that leg, or at the least only partial weight bearing through that leg.  Problem then is that I am falling apart and have a bad left wrist and right shoulder, left ankle and him and the currently messed up right knee.  I can’t think of any situation where something else isn’t going to have to pay for the damage I did to my knee.  Well it is going to be a very long trip home tomorrow as my knee is okay as long as I keep it flat and mostly straight out but I have to get in to the truck and sit there for 3.5+ hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment