Monday, December 13, 2010

Dr's office crap

So, I have been fighting this cold for about two weeks now and it has finally taken hold.  Dad has already done a 10 dose of levaquin (yes I know a no-no for EDSers but we don't think he actually has it) and K hasnt been to school in over a week (and now with the snow, its debatable as to when he will get back.) and mom has been on cold meds for a week as well.  I honestly have no clue how I have been able to fight this off so well!  I dont know if its getting the autonomic issues kind of settled down, pain levels being resolved after high pain levels for a month or just the handful of vitamins I take each day. 

So today I finally call my GP's office. She said the NP could see me.... next wednesday and that she wasn't sure if the GP could fit me in before Christmas!!  As a note, it has been my GP that states that for some reason, I am pretty badly immunocompromized.  I get flu shots the day they come out (where most have to wait 2 weeks for all the potentially serious patients to get theirs) and he refuses to give me that chicken pox vaccine as he is afraid it would land me in the hospital (as a side note he figures I will be in the hospital when I get chicken pox, but if for some reason I don't catch it natually I wont be at a risk for shingles).  He doesn't even start on the little antibiotics, last year during the H1N1 scare he put me straight on Tamiflu when I presented with flu symptoms instead of waiting for testing.  The lowest grade antibiotic we use is the z-pack.  The whole office nows me (been my dr since I was 3) so they all know of my potentially serious health issues.  Oh I guess I should also note that becasue of my heart problems, I can not take any medication that contains a decongestant and I am 'allergic' to tylenol and asprin so that leaves me with only the 'small' version of Coracident (major spelling issues there!), so when it hits my sinuses, there is nothing OTC that I can actually take.

The receptionist suggested that I head to emerg but that she would make me the NP appointment for next week.  Needless to say mom was not impressed.  We know that once certain symptoms appear it's all downhill from there, and those symptoms are now here.  Thankfully, mom had a follow-up appointment with our GP on thursday for her back so she called in, stated it was pretty ridiculus that when I am this sick I have to wait over a week and that there is no way she is taking me to the ER with this.  So I now have her thursday appointment spot but feel so bad that she is going to have to wait a month longer to get the results of her back xrays :(

Well I am sitting at 101* which is really high for me so going to go grab some advil and rest some more.  Will be drinking lots, keep popping the advil and laying low until thursday.

2 comments:

  1. That stinks - I hope you feel better soon!! That's nice of your mom to offer her spot. The ONLY reason I keep my primary doc. is because I can get in fast, he is always on time with appts., and he'll let me try new meds. Other than that he is not real helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I didn't see your replies! I thought I had it set up to email me if any comments were made! I don't mind my GP, he does good for the normal infections etc but he really is just my referal guy basically. If I need to see a specalist I go to him and he gets a referal set up for me. He also monitors my headache medication, GERD meds and any injections.

    ReplyDelete