Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Dentist Appointment

Well I went in to the dentist today to get things looked at.  Thankfully I 'just' have a massive canker sore on the inside of my cheek / gum line going on.  He said it's pretty nasty looking and probbaly more painfull than anything he could ever do lol.  He suspects I probably had something viral going on and it found a place to appear in my mouth after the surgery.  Nothing that can be done for it, just grin and bear it basically.  He did check out things and made sure the teeth near it were okay and could have pressure and checked a few of the fillings he did to make sure they were okay.  He said that they usually last about 10 days, but for me we would give it two weeks lol (I didnt tell him it's already been 7 days!).  He told me to just take my normal pain killers and said that the ear and jaw pain were normal as it is pretty large and aggrevated and then made sure that I had pain killers.  For me the most telling part of the entire appointment........ He didn't tell me to just go and get some orajel to put on it to numb it!!  I am sure this is the suggestion given to most people with mouth pain but he didn't go there, and since orajel is a topical anesthetic, it wouldn't work for me anyways which he probably figured out so didn't mention it! (how do you like that run-on and circular sentance lol). 

Mom and I got thinking and we have figured it out we think.  I felt fine going into surgery but after was just abnormally tired and had a horrendous cough and just acheyness.  Well a few days later K comes down with the same cough and feeling the same as I had.  So we figure I had the beginnings of a cold going into surgery so that virus just found a place in and manifested itself as a canker sore.  That's our theroy anyways and we like it ;)  We did go to the drug store and found something for canker sores that doesnt have any *caine's in it (those are topicals, they mostly all end in 'caine') but works by putting a film over the sore.  As this sore gets scratched and irritated every time I even open my mouth because of the position it is in, I hope it works!  Was waiting to get supper over and down with before trying it.

I have to admit, last night my imagination got away from me and I started to think of all the bad things it could have been, infection being the most basic one.  I got worried it was from my osteoporosis medication, thought it was an absess, something that would have to be worked on (like lanced or something) and on and on.  So I did feel kinda stupid going to the dentist for a canker sore but he did tell me that it was good that I got it looked at as the problems I am having could easily have been a bad infection and I was right to come and see him.

No comments:

Post a Comment